Sunday, August 15, 2010

The British take Italia (and no it isn't boiled for hours)...

...in fact, there is almost no boiling involved.  I must say, the Brits did a good job with this one.

I don't have the little guy this weekend, but I'll be getting his review of the following dish later on this week though...given how much cheese I put in it, he'll like it.

I usually do the cooking for the week on the weekends.  Saves me time on the weeknights...just re-heat.  The recipe below is one I cut out of Hello! magazine while visiting my parents recently.  It was easy to make (with a few modifications of my own) and tastes quite good!  I've done my best to put in measurements, but I tend to guess when cooking and use the term "until it looks right" frequently (much to my Mother's chagrin).

Anyway...give it a go, it's quite good and good for you too.  I've added links for the 2 sauces as I make my own marinara and white sauce and the original recipe calls for bottled.

Eggplant, Tomato and Parmesan Lasagna

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
1 eggplant peeled and finely chopped (before chopping, cut in half, sprinkle with salt and let rest.  Wipe with cloth to remove salt and liquid)
6 oz mushrooms chopped finely
2 large tomatoes chopped
2-3 cups marinara sauce
6-8 sheets ready to use lasagna sheets
1-2 cups white sauce
Lots of parmesan
Lots of mozzarella

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and eggplant and cook over medium for 5 minutes until softened.  Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the tomato sauce, stir and bring to a boil gently.  Season with pepper and a bit of salt to taste.
Remove from heat.  Add a small amount to the baking dish and spread it out evenly to prevent the noodles from sticking. 
Add a layer of noodles, then the marina veggie mixture, some mozzarella and finely grated parmesan cheese.  Continue to layer finishing with the marinara and cheeses. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes covered.  Remove foil and bake a bit longer until cheese is golden.  Let it sit a few minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment